Feel the air in your premises being damp or stuffy? Well, HVAC or Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning need a regular checkup. There could be dust particles, pet dander or dead skin clogging on your HVAC system that calls for cleaning
After your HVAC system has been running for a lengthy period, the filtration system and air ducts get clogged with matter that may cause mechanical defects and lead to a poor operational capability of the HVAC. Clogging of the ducts is as a result by leaving the doors and windows open when the system is running. Hot seasons require much more frequent checks of the air conditioning system as there is increased load in attempts to regulate the room temperature.
Unclean HVAC systems can be bedrocks of diseases such as flu and allergies, which result from the accumulation of dust particles on the installed components of the HVAC system; therefore, necessitating cleaning services to create comfortable atmospheric conditions. There are several HVAC technicians in the market, but checking for signs that experts need not necessarily do your air ducts. You can as well do the cleaning on your own.
Here are a few indicators that your air duct needs cleaning:
- Dust particles and debris matter on ducts. You can check this by just opening the vent covers and scrutinizing the condition of the vent walls.
- Fuzzy dust and dirt on the return air registers Dust can be clearly visible as thick brown substance coated on the return air registers; you can also open them up and check the same on its inside.
- Clogging of air filters with dust and dirt. Dust clogging is an obstacle to the smooth air flow and allows the settling of more dust on the filters, pull the filter trays out and observe if they contain fluffy matter on their pores.
- Dust and dirt cling on the furnace mechanism. To check this, you will have to open the oven compartment and look at the motor, blower, and the heater controls. A lot of dust is an indicator of the urgency of cleaning services required on the HVAC system.
- Having a dirty air conditioning coil. The presence of dust on the cooling coil is a result of too much blocking of the filters which cause dust to settle on the air coil compartment.
Consequences of unclean HVAC systems:
- Excess dirt on the system slows down the run time of the HVAC system, which requires more energy to generate heat especially in winter
- Poor circulation of air due to blocked air filters that allow air through the return air registers.
- Quick wear and tear of the HVAC components which may cost you a whole new system.
- Health problems caused by Harmful allergens and bacteria trapped in the system.
- Contamination of the premises from spread dust circulating from the HVAC.
Benefits of air duct cleaning:
- Reliable and better performance of your HVAC system
- Less dust makes it easier to clean and maintain your home’s living space
- Fewer expensive repairs from wear and tear and longer HVAC system life
- Lower likelihood of respiratory and allergy problems
- More energy efficiency, reducing your energy bills